Pro-Con Draft

Wednesday, December 1, 2010
I believe that high schools should teach students more about sex. Teens have many sources of pressure and this will help them to make informed decisions about sex and encourage them to use contraceptives if they were to have sex anyway.

Some people believe that sex is a very personal topic and should be taught at home from the parents. The problem with parents teaching their kids about sex is that they may not know all of the scientific facts about sex. They may not know exactly how someone could catch an STD or the exact success rate of a type of contraceptive. The school’s sex education curriculum will give teenagers the information that they need to make informed decisions.

The more that teens know about sex, the more informed decisions they can make about having sex. If teens don’t know about the dangers of STDs or possibility of pregnancy then they would be more likely to experiment with sex. Instead of just teaching them about abstinence, it is better to steer them away from activities and people that may encourage them to have sex.

Some people believe that teaching students about condoms and other types of contraceptives will encourage them to have sex knowing that they are protected from STDs and pregnancy. Studies show that having condoms available doesn’t encourage teens to have sex. It just encourages them to use the condoms if they were to have sex anyway. So not teaching students about contraceptives would actually be increasing the chances of getting an STD or getting pregnant.

Teaching high school students more about sex will help them to make informed decisions. The sex education curriculum should teach students to stay away from certain behaviors that may lead to sex such as unsupervised parties and not being out after a certain time. So encourage teenagers to make the right decisions about sex by saying yes to sex ed.

3 comments:

Traci said...

Hey Kai!
I guess I am gonna comment on your essay, so here it goes.

Sooooo, for your proposition statement(first sentence), take out the words, "I think that" because the prop statement should not be an "I think" statement. Just say this: High Schools should teach student more about sex.

You have a good argument to base your essay on. It is organized well, but I think you should add more of the statistics of sex ed--how many of these teen in sex ed actually have sex and how many don't. Putting more statistics that are effective would help help your argument be even stronger. In between, add more transitional words to help make your sentences flow better and to help your sentences prove a point.

I do like the way you stress out the fact that sex ed would help teenagers to make the right decisions. It is a strong argument. But you should also add other arguments too--like if sex ed would lower the rate of teen pregnancy, then put that there.

So that is all...

-Traci :)

Angela said...

I am SOOOOO sorry Kai that it took me so long! But I am going to comment on your essay now. Okay so first I am going to start off that you did a good job. I like that you stated what the con side would have said and then came in with your views on it. I also liked that the things you talked about were some very argumentative topics that many people could side with. One thing you could work on though is backing up your ideas with some research. This paper is really good but I think it would be even better with research behind it. Other then that I think you did a great job. You very clear as to what side your are on and you stuck to your main topic.

-Angela

lsueoka said...

Hi Kai,
I basically agree with your teammates--you've got a strong essay, with good ideas. What you need now are the specific stats that suppport the incidence of these behavior among teens.
mrs s

Post a Comment